Aadhaar card? That snazzy, little 12-digit identity number that’s as unique as your thumbprint, pumped out by the wizards at the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI)?
Yep, that’s the one.
Now, life happens, right? Maybe you’ve shuffled homes, got a funky new last name, or simply changed your phone number to dodge those pesky telemarketers.
Whatever the reason, your Aadhaar details might need some sprucing up. Good news?
The geniuses at UIDAI have thrown us a bone, making it a piece of cake to tweak our info online.
Fortunately, UIDAI has streamlined the process, allowing residents to make updates with ease online. Let’s dive into the step-by-step process.
In this article…
1. Prerequisites for Updating Aadhaar Details Online:
- Active Mobile Number: It’s mandatory to have a mobile number registered with Aadhaar to receive the OTP for authentication.
- Supporting Documents: Depending on what detail you’re updating, have a soft copy of the supporting documents ready for upload. For example, a utility bill or rental agreement for address change.
2. Visiting the Official UIDAI Portal:
- Open your web browser and go to the official UIDAI website:
- Under the ‘My Aadhaar’ tab, you’ll find the ‘Update your Aadhaar’ section. Click on ‘Update Demographics Data Online’.
3. Using the Aadhaar Self Service Update Portal (SSUP):
- You’ll be redirected to the Aadhaar Self Service Update Portal.
- If you’re using the portal for the first time, you will need to register by receiving an OTP on your registered mobile number.
- Once authenticated, click on the ‘Update Aadhaar’ option.
4. Selecting the Details to be Updated:
From the options provided, select the details you wish to update or correct:
- Date of Birth
- Mobile number
Ensure that you have the supporting documents ready for the changes you’re making.
5. Submitting the Update Request:
- After selecting the required option, enter the details accurately in the provided fields.
- Upload the scanned copies of supporting documents. Ensure the documents are clear and readable.
- Review all changes made for any possible errors. It’s crucial as any mistake could lead to the rejection of your update request.
- Once satisfied, submit the update request.
6. Paying the Update Fee:
- An online update isn’t free. You need to pay a nominal fee. As of the last update, it was INR 50 (subject to change).
- Choose your preferred mode of payment – debit/credit card, net banking, or UPI.
- Once the payment is successful, you will receive a receipt with an Update Request Number (URN). Keep this URN safe; you’ll need it to track the status of your update.
7. Tracking the Status of Your Update:
After submitting the update request, UIDAI will verify the information provided. It might take a few days.
- Go to the UIDAI website and under the ‘My Aadhaar’ tab, click on ‘Check Aadhaar Update Status’.
- Enter your Aadhaar number and the URN to check the status of your request.
Important Points to Note:
- Mobile Number: It is crucial to have a mobile number linked to your Aadhaar for online updates. If you haven’t registered a number or need to update it, you will have to visit an Aadhaar Enrollment Center.
- Limitations: As of now, you can only update the address online. For changes in name, date of birth, email, and gender, a visit to the Aadhaar Enrollment Center is necessary.
- Multiple Requests: If you’ve already submitted an update request, wait for it to be processed before submitting another.
- Rejection: If your request gets rejected due to some error or invalid documentation, you’ll have to resubmit the update request with correct details and valid documents.
Updating Aadhaar details online is a straightforward process, but one must be careful with the details and documents they provide.
It not only saves time but also ensures that your Aadhaar card remains a valid proof of identity and address.
Always ensure to check the status regularly and keep your Aadhaar details updated. After all, in today’s digital age, being updated is being smart!
FAQs on Updating Aadhaar Card Details Online:
1. Can I update all my details on the Aadhaar card online?
No. Currently, only the address can be updated online. For changes in name, gender, date of birth, email, and mobile number, you need to visit an Aadhaar Enrollment Centre.
2. What are the charges for updating Aadhaar details online?
As of the last update, the charge for online address change was INR 50. However, charges are subject to change. Always check the UIDAI website for the latest information.
3. What if I don’t have the supporting documents for an address change?
If you don’t have the necessary documents, you can update your address using the Address Validation Letter. This process involves getting a validation from a family member or a friend.
4. How long does it take for the updated details to reflect on the Aadhaar card?
Usually, it takes 10-15 days for the updated details to reflect. However, it may vary based on the volume of update requests received by UIDAI.
5. How can I track the status of my update request?
You can track the status on the UIDAI website by entering your Aadhaar number and Update Request Number (URN).
6. What should I do if my update request gets rejected?
If your request is rejected, identify the reason for rejection. Rectify any mistakes or provide the necessary valid documents, and resubmit the update request.
7. Is it mandatory to update Aadhaar details if I move to a new address?
While it’s not mandatory, it is advisable. An Aadhaar card with an updated address can serve as a valid proof of residence, which might be required for various services.
8. How many times can I update my Aadhaar details online?
There’s no specific limit on the number of times you can update your address in Aadhaar, but frequent updates might raise red flags, leading to delays or additional scrutiny.
9. Do I need to get a new Aadhaar card after updating the details?
No, you don’t receive a new card. However, you can download the updated e-Aadhaar from the UIDAI website or get it printed at an Aadhaar centre.
10. I don’t have a mobile number registered with my Aadhaar. Can I still update details online?
No. A registered mobile number is essential for online updates as an OTP sent to this number is used for authentication. If you don’t have a registered number or need to update it, visit an Aadhaar Enrollment Centre.
11. Can NRIs update their Aadhaar details online?
Yes, if NRIs or any Indian residents have an Aadhaar card, they can update their address online, provided they have the necessary documents.
12. Are there any other methods to update Aadhaar details besides online and visiting an Enrollment Centre?
Yes, you can also update details by post. However, due to the convenience of the online method and the immediate facilities available at the Enrollment Centres, the postal method is less popular.
You might find these articles interesting
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana (SSY) – Everything You Need to Know
- Indian Post Office Savings Account – Is it worth it?
- Public Provident Fund (PPF) from India Post – What You Need to Know
- Monthly Income Scheme (MIS) from India Post – What You Need to Know
- Recurring Deposit (RD) from India Post – What You Need to Know