That’s good news indeed. According to the Internet and Mobile Association of India, a recent study of numbers revealed that in 2014, digital media incl. online advertising spend in India will hit up to 2,938 crores by 2014.
2013 has seen a lot of activity compared to past years, India is currently at INR 2260 crores already. Though a bit late, the Indian market has seen the biggest traction during the last couple of years, all thanks to social media and mobile.
The biggest movers and shakers have been search, social and mobile with over 50% to 300% growth compared to 2010 numbers.
Top 9 Trends in online marketing industry in India
1. Online advertising market on an average is expected to grow by 40% annually in four year to 2013-14.
2. Search and display advertising continue to form a large portion of the overall pie in 2011-2012. Though declined in 2012-2013, owing to the rise in the mobile, social media and video advertising.
3. Spend in search advertising includes SEO spend, which has increased from INR 58 Crore to 128 Crore in FY 2012-13.
4. Spends on mobile advertising have increased from INR 115 Crore in 2011-12 to INR 230 Crore in 2012-13.
5. Social media, email and video advertising constitute 13% (INR 300 Crore), 3% (INR 68 Crore) and 7% (INR 150 Crore) of the online advertising market, respectively.
6. 84% of the internet traffic still comes from the personal computer – laptops, netbooks & desktops.
7. Traffic from mobile devices grew from being 10% of the total Internet traffic in FY 2011-12 to 16 % in FY 2012-2013.
8. Auto (13%), BFSI (12%), Travel (12%) & Telecom (14%) are top digital spending sectors in FY 2012-13.
9. Ecommerce constitutes to about 5% of the total market spend which was 7% in FY 2011-12.
These are great insights to learn from. Nothing surprising here but most stats are tailing from the global phenomenon of social and mobile taking over and rapidly taking the hockey stick spike.
With many of the online properties I deal with showing consistently more than 20% mobile traffic, these numbers look promising.
The report can be downloaded from here.
Here is a directory of the top social media agencies in India.