The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is the government agency responsible for processing all immigration applications. If you have applied for any type of immigration benefit, you can check your USCIS case status online. This article will show you how.
In this article…
What is the USCIS Case Status?
The USCIS case status is the current status of a person’s immigration case.
USCIS status can be one of these:
- Active: The case is being processed by the USCIS. It can also show an expected processing date (EPF).
- Pending: The case is being processed, but the person does not have to go to an interview yet.
- Closed: The person has received a benefit and their application is no longer pending.
- Withdrawn: The person decided not to pursue their case.
How to Check Your USCIS Case Status Online
- Find your case number on your USCIS notice or letter. It should look something like this (WAC1234567890)
- Go to https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/landing.do
- Enter your case number and click “Check Status”
- You will see the status of your case and the date when your case was last updated. This is usually how long it has taken for the USCIS to process your case.
How Long Does It Take for My USCIS Case to be Resolved?
A case can take from 6 months to 5 years or more to be resolved. The average time it takes for an immigration case to be resolved depends on the complexity of the case and if it is being prioritized.
Types of Cases with USCIS
Below are the different types of cases with the USCIS and the average processing times for each.
– Naturalization: 18 months- Petition for Alien Relative: 2 years
– Immigrant Visa: 2 years
– Nonimmigrant Visa: 6 months
– Employment Authorization Document (EAD): 4 months
– Travel Documents: 5 days
How to Check Your Case Status by Phone
If you do not have access to the internet or don’t want to use the online system, you can check your case status by phone. It is a good idea to call your local USCIS office if your case is not yet completed to avoid missing any crucial information that could affect your case such as an interview appointment, biometrics appointment, or document submission.
To check your case status by phone, call the USCIS Contact Center at 1-800-375-5283 or 1-800-329-0582 (TTY). If you do not speak English well, have a voice-powered translator device available for any communications with the USCIS agent.
If you call during regular business hours, you will reach an automated system that will transfer you to a live person who can help you. To avoid an accent, wait in the line until the system asks if you would like to talk to a U.S. agent.
How to Check if Your USCIS Case Status is updated
1. Go to www.uscis.gov
2. Click on the “Check Case Status” link in the top right corner of the page
3. Enter your 13-digit receipt number into the “Enter your receipt number” field and click on the “Check Status” button
4. The next page will give you information about your case, including the current status and any new updates.
What is a USCIS Receipt Number?
A USCIS Receipt Number is a unique 13-character identifier that the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) assigns to every application or petition it receives. The number allows the agency to keep track of individual cases, and it is printed on every notice that USCIS sends to applicants or petitioners.
How Often Does USCIS Update Their Cases?
USCIS updates the status of most cases within 60 days of the date they receive it. However, some cases may take longer to update.
How to Check Your USCIS Case Status Without a Receipt Number
If you want to check your USCIS case status without a receipt number, there are a few ways to do this.
First, you can check the USCIS website for updates on your case.
Second, you can call USCIS customer service at 1-800-375-5283 and ask for an update on your case.
Finally, you can sign up for USCIS text or email alerts to get updates on your case.
How to Check Your USCIS Case Status if You Have Lost Your Receipt Number
If you have lost your receipt number, you may be able to find it on your immigration paperwork or on correspondence from USCIS. If you cannot find your receipt number, you may be able to submit a request to USCIS for this information.
You might find these articles interesting
- None Found